The African American Museum of Iowa will be presenting “More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa” Saturday, March 24th at 10:30 – 11:30 am in the Uptown Theatre as a part of a series of Hometown Teams events.
The Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street traveling exhibit “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” will be in Mount Vernon, Iowa from March 18 to April 28, 2018. It is one of ten related events that is scheduled while the exhibit is in Mount Vernon.
From the African American Museum of Iowa:
Since the late nineteenth century, African Americans have participated in a variety of sports and contributed in profound ways to Iowa’s sporting culture. African Americans experienced severe discrimination in sports as in other activities, but fought long and hard to overcome racism. In Iowa, they frequently used achievement in sports as a way to come together as a community. These countless narratives both on and off the court, field, and ring, remind us of the broader struggle for civil rights in America.
This presentation coincides with the Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America” exhibit, on view at the First Street Community Center March 18 to April 29, 2018. “How Sports Shaped America” is a Smithsonian traveling exhibit that allows visitors to put sports in the context of American culture and gain a better understanding of the role that sport plays in its interactions with families, schools, government, business, and other social institutions. The African American Museum of Iowa will feature local sports figures Art Pennington and Jack Trice.
RSVP on Facebook.
- This event is presented by the African American Museum of Iowa.
- Attendance is free and open to the public.
Complete Schedule of Hometown Teams Events:
- Sat. March 24, 10:30-11:30 a.m. – More Than Just a Game: African American Athletes in Iowa
- Mon. March 26, 1-3 p.m. – Movie “The Final Season”
- Wed. April 4, 7-8:30 p.m. – From the Pressbox: An Eastern Iowa Sports Media Panel
- Sat. April 7, 10-11:30 a.m. – How Iowa Met Baseball: The Myths, The History, The Players
- Sat., April 7, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Coach Jim Van Scoyoc meet and greet
- Sat. April 14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – “A Wrestling Life,” Talk and and Book Signing by Dan Gable
- Sat., April 14, 1-2:30 p.m. – Playing to Win: Kids and Sports
- Sat. April 21, 10-10:30 a.m. – Remembering 6-on-6 Gallery Talk
- Sat. April 21, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa
- Sun., April 22, Noon-4 p.m. – Collecting Girls’ and Women’s Sport Histories in Iowa